Setting up a print server allows you to share your regular USB printer as a network printer. We can set it up to allow printing using AirPrint from iOS and MacOS devices. We can even set it up to allow printing from Windows devices. Let’s set up one with a basic Raspberry Pi W. Of course, the higher Pis would do as well.
If you don’t have an AirPrint-compatible printer, you can still print on your iDevices with the help of a Mac. Of course, you’ll need to keep said Mac on while printing :P
On Mac OS X:
- Download and install Genie.
- Start Genie and go to “AirPrint”. Select the printer you want to make available for AirPrint.
On your iDevice:
- On the pertinent app, select the “share” button.
- Select “Print”. This will take you to the Printer Options screen
- Select Printer
- Set the number of copies if you want
- Select “Print”